Friday, September 20, 2019

Irish set dancing

Monday, 16th September, 2019.

Kathy and Tommie do Irish set dancing at a local hall.  I went along to watch, but they needed an extra person for a set, so there I was.  I managed the foot work as there was always someone to push you or pull you in the right direction, but I struggled with the arms, as there are so many different holds - high, low, left, right, crossed, uncrossed, one arm, two arms, shoulder, waist, your partner, someone else - to name but a few.
The dances are all very local, e.g. there is a dance named for this hall, Derrada (which we did) as well as other small villages in the area.
An example of Irish set dancing can be seen here: (Not sure if the YouTube reference will work in the blog.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR4N5RmsLEE
Can't say I was quite up to this standard, but it was still great fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment