Friday, May 21, 2010

Petra – the Siq 17.05.2010

The Siq is natural cleft in the sandstone mountain, several metres wide and just over two kilometres long, with cliffs soaring to 80 metres on either side, and is the ancient entrance to Petra.
Horses Our tour included a horse ride for the 600 metres down to the entrance to the Siq. Pat’s advice, as we plodded back up that track, many hours later, was to take the horse ride up hill on the way out, not down hill on the way in.

Pat on horse
Pat said he felt dorky being led along on his placid horse.

Tunnel
This tunnel, 88 metres long, was probably dug through the rock in the third quarter of the 1st century AD. It was built to divert flood waters away from the entrance to the Siq, to protect those travelling through, and to be used for the city inside.

Water channels
Two water channels were carved on either side of the Siq, to carry fresh water from springs into the city.

Filter Every so often, a pit was dug beneath the water channel, to act as a filter for the fresh water.

Niche
Along the sides of the Siq are carved niches and God blocks (baetyls) to protect those entering and leaving the city.

Carriage
Inside the Siq, there were still sections of the original large, uneven Nabatean paving stones. Instead of walking through the Siq, you could elect to ride in a horse drawn carriage, which was a very bouncy ride over the paving stones. After watching a few carriages joggle past us, I decided that middle aged ladies should be advised to wear a good firm sports bra before undertaking this activity.

Colours
The varying colours of the sandstone were quite breathtaking.

Amazing
Being in the Siq was just an amazing experience. Our guide was a keen photographer, and kept telling me what to take photos of, and where from, and would seize the camera from me and take them himself if I was too slow. He was very cross with me for not bringing my zoom lens, as he told me I could have taken much better photos of the Siq and Petra generally if I had brought it. However, it was good to have his advice. I had rejected the idea of bringing the zoom lens on account of its weight – later, as we were climbing the 850 steps to the monastery in the heat of the day, I was pleased with my decision.

First glimpse
First glimpse of Al-Khazneh
I had read so much about the first glimpse of Al-Khazneh after walking through the Siq, but it was still a moment of wonder and delight when it happened.

People Al-Khaz
Lots of other people thought so too.

Al Khaz
It really was a magic moment, worth coming all the way from Australia to see.

1 comment:

  1. Jan, I am just loving your wonderful photos and descriptions (and your sense of humour). It's probably the only way I'll see Petra.
    Thanks, Sandra

    ReplyDelete