Saturday, May 1, 2010

Paddle and Prawns

For a “special” birthday some time ago, Paul and Laura gave me a night kayaking trip on the Brisbane River. We wanted to take the trip when as many of the family as possible could come along, but what with everyone’s many commitments, for three years it never happened. However, this year, while Laura was home from San Francisco, we decided to do it, with whoever was there. So tonight just Paul, Laura, Pat and I set off.

We walked past the dramatic Kangaroo Point cliffs, beautifully lit at night, and a Mecca for intrepid rock climbers. I was feeling quite nervous – would I fall in? Would I get lost on the river at night? Would I be swept away? Would I be able to keep up? Why had I thought this would be a fun activity? Then Pat, who has some fingernail issues, almost tore off a nail while putting on his lifejacket, requiring some first aid assistance. I kept repeating the don’t-capsize-the-kayak climbing-in instructions to myself as I climbed down the ladder: “One leg, bum, other leg” and managed to complete that manoeuvre without (a) capsizing (b) getting lost, (c) being swept away.

We were quite a big group – about 30 or 40. Once in the water, I found my kayak extremely easy to paddle and to steer. In no time at all I was enjoying myself immensely. It was very easy to see where we were going, from the lights of the city, and there was also an enormous full moon. By night you couldn’t see the colour of the water, thank goodness – it just felt silky and clear. We went under City Cat walkways and around boats. City Cats and other boats created waves which were scary at first but then became great fun. I thought of Jessica Watson dealing with 12 metre waves as she makes an attempt to become the youngest person to sail solo and unassisted around the world. We paddled down river, against the tide, as far as the Story Bridge, then turned round and paddled, much more easily, back again.

Two people did fall in. One rammed a stationary boat, which reacted by tipping her out, while the other was sitting patiently in her kayak waiting to get out, doing nothing, when a small wave came and neatly capsized her.

When we finished, Laura got out early, and went and retrieved her camera, to take pictures of the rest of us. (That's why she's not in any of the pictures.)


The second part of the evening was just as spectacular as the first. A table was set up, literally on the bank of the river, loaded with plates of enormous fresh prawns, plus icy cold beer, wine and soft drinks. With the lights of the city reflected in the water as a backdrop, we really enjoyed this simple but superb meal we felt we had earned. We sat across from a very pleasant couple from Canberra who had come to Brisbane for the weekend for a wedding.


Thank you Paul and Laura – what a memorable evening!

Coming in.  Paul's in the centre, front on, Jan to the left, side on.

Waiting to disembark - Pat, Jan, Paul.

Pat climbing the ladder, Paul next.

No comments:

Post a Comment