Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Queenstown to Franz Josef

The road from Queenstown to Franz Josef, like all of the NZ roads we have driven so far, is incredibly scenic.  We had the option of driving one side of a rectangle directly from Queenstown to Wanaka over the Crown Range Road (amazing views but challenging) or the three-sides-of-the-rectangle route, for more conservative drivers.  After our recent (challenging and fast) drive to Milford Sound, we decided to opt for the conservative route.  However, this route turned out to be very scenic as well.

Firstly, we saw the bungy jumping at Kawara Bridge.  (Please see separate blog.)  Further delights unfolded:

 

IMG_8477

We passed some vineyards.

 

IMG_8480

Roaring Meg Hydro electric scheme.

Not all of NZ’s hydro electricity is generated by big dams.  Many small power stations were first developed in co-operation with gold mining, dredging and irrigation companies.  In this region they were the only power source until connection with the national grid in 1957.

 

IMG_8482

I was photographing this stunning row of autumn poplars while we were stopped at a roadside stall, when the owner came and asked would I like to take some pictures of the poplars as reflected in a dam on his property which could be seen by walking around the back of his stall.

 

IMG_8486

We went around the back of his stall and my eyes nearly fell out of my head.  There was every photographer’s dream!  I only wish I could have done it justice.

 

IMG_8495

The owner told us that someone from Japan had taken a picture from around this stall, and the picture had won a major competition in Japan.  Since then, Japanese tour buses have been stopping at this stall as a matter of course.

 

IMG_8501

After I took several thousand pictures, we continued on our merry way.

 

IMG_8508

Their orchard was very attractive as well.

I really don’t regret missing out on the “scenic” route - there were more stunning lakes along the way, on this beautiful day:

 

IMG_8512

 

IMG_8518

 

IMG_8519

 

IMG_8534

 

IMG_8538

Now we are approaching Haast, on the west coast.

 

Copy of IMG_8542

Our first glacier?  We’re not sure.  We’re heading for glacier country, so we’re on the lookout.

 

IMG_8546

Now we’re on the west coast, where every twist in the road looks like the Great Ocean Road in Victoria.  I think this is Knight Point.

 

IMG_8587

At last, after a lot of twisting and turning, with not a hint of a glacier in sight, we arrive at our motel in Franz Josef Village, where from our room we can in fact see a glacier.  The lady at the motel can’t remember what it’s called, but knows that it starts with “L”.

Glaciers hunted on April 18th 2012.

NZ is so scenic, and our days are so full, that it is hard work keeping up with these blogs.  For example, today is Sunday 22nd April, and I still have one more blog to write for last Wednesday 18th April.  Then it may be some time before I have the opportunity to upload them. 

Generally, the only time I can write blogs is in the evening after we have had dinner, when Pat is either watching TV, with the TV set about one metre from my head, or after he has gone to bed, tired after a challenging day’s driving.  I keep offering to drive, but he says he would rather drive than navigate.  However, I think that is his kind way of saying that he would rather drive than be driven by me!  Many of these scenic roads are very twisty and steep, and to be honest, I’m very happy that he’s doing the driving.

Most of our rooms have had a small light I can use for the computer so that Pat can go to sleep.  However, where we are now in Picton, the room is very small and there is no lamp I can use.  Consequently, I am currently in the bathroom, perched on the (very hard and cold) toilet seat, with the computer balanced on the edge of the handbasin.  My notes are on my knee and on the floor, and occasionally my biro falls into the handbasin.  The extractor fan comes on automatically with the light and the noise of it is driving me crazy and I can feel it drying me out like a prune.

I would love to make witty, meaningful, intelligent – or even coherent and without spelling mistakes – comments about my pictures of this beautiful country, but I know from past experience, that if the pictures don’t go up now, they never will.  So I will continue to chug on and do my best.

In spite of doing all the driving, and struggling with his asthma particularly when we walk, Pat seems to be enjoying our holiday, for which I am very grateful.  To date, everything has gone very well, and we have had some glorious weather, particularly for the highlights of our trip, the Milford Sound cruise and the glacier helicopter ride (which I haven’t written about yet) which were both perfect.  We have been very lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment