Thursday, April 12, 2012

Bucket list: Ride a penny farthing bicycle

On my list of “Things to do before I die” one of the many items is to ride a penny farthing bicycle, but up until now I haven’t found one.  Imagine my surprise to suddenly come across not one but three, in the touristy historical district of Oamaru on the south east coast of the South Island of New Zealand.
However, when presented with the opportunity, I didn’t seize the chance:
(a)  We didn’t have much time.
(b)  There wasn’t anyone around to ask.

IMG_7366
(c)  They looked VERY SCARY.  Not only are the seat and handle bars about as far off the ground as my head, I couldn’t tell by looking how to get on, or more importantly, off.
I wonder if I will ever have another chance.

Copy of IMG_7369
Even the local park featured a penny farthing sculpture.

IMG_7363
Pat walking around the historical precinct of Oamaru.

IMG_7367
Oamaru Harbour.

No comments:

Post a Comment