Saturday, February 15, 2020

Bordeaux 10: La Tour Pey-Berland

Thursday 13th February 2020.






































On this day we were going to the Musee d'Aquitaine.  We arrived at 10.30am, to discover that it didn't open until 11am.  I suggested that we could go up the 229 steps of the nearby Tour Pey-Beyland.  Stuart said he would look after my bag while I went up, so I did.

The tower was built between 1440 and 1500.  After completion, the church had no money for the purchase of bells, so the tower was used for housing until 1790, when a lead factory was set up in the tower.  Bells were finally installed in 1851 and the tower began to be used for its original purpose.





























From the top, I could see Stuart checking out the tram tickets (not the figure out in the open, but the one under the tree with the checked scarf.)  I shouted out to him, but he didn't hear me.


From the top, I could also see down the Garonne to the Pont d'Aquitaine (shaped like the San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge).


My beautiful arched Pont de Pierre, and our own turretted gate Porte Cailhau.


The Grosse Cloche (Big Bell), the only remains of the old defensive gate of the 13th century.


There is a golden Virgin and Child at the top of the tower, which I could just see through the wire mesh.



































No comments:

Post a Comment